Last Modified: December 3, 2018
Information you provide directly to CBS Services. You are not required to provide information about yourself when you visit a CBS Services. CBS Services may ask you for different types of information when you register for certain services, access various content or features, or directly contact the Services including:
- Contact information, such as name, email address, postal address, phone number, facsimile number, and mobile number;
- User name, password, and password reminder questions and answers;
- Age and date of birth;
- Other demographic information, such as gender, job information, and postal code;
- Public information, including profile information, you provide to the CBS Services for publication, such as your user name, comments, likes, interests, status, pictures and the address of your website;
- Communications preferences, such as which newsletters you would like to receive;
- Search queries;
- In limited circumstances, payment and identity verification information, such as credit card number, social security number or comparable national identifiers, and driver’s license number where needed for payment, to complete a particular transaction, or to access a particular service (e.g., contests or paid subscriptions);
- Contact information about others when you provide information about others or refer a friend with whom you have an existing business, non-business, family or personal relationship to a particular website or service (note: such information is used solely to facilitate the communications requested);
- Information posted in community discussions and other interactive online features;
- Correspondence you send to us;
- Information collected about you offline (including via facsimile, mail, or in person for sweepstakes entrance forms);
- If you log in via a social media platform such as Twitter, Facebook or Google+, we may also collect your user ID details for that platform, and any information you have permitted them to share with us; and
- You might also provide personal information to us if you:
- complete any application forms;
- contact us (including calling our offices or provide feedback, comments or suggestions on programs and other activities);
- enter a competition;
- contact us as a customer or client of CBS;
- provide services or products to CBS;
- visit our offices (including via security surveillance of our premises including CCTV);
- attend a studio audience; or
- apply for a job with us.
Information we collect automatically on CBS Services. CBS Services may collect certain information automatically, including:
- Your device type and settings, software used and browser type and operating system;
- Your Internet Protocol (IP) address, which is the number automatically assigned to your computer whenever you access the Internet and that can sometimes be used to derive your general geographic area;
- Websites or other services you visited before and after visiting a CBS Services;
- Web pages and advertisements you view and links you click on within CBS Services;
- Unique identifiers and connection information, including mobile device identification numbers (e.g. Apple’s Identifier for Advertising IP (IDFA) or Google’s Android Advertising ID (AAID)) and internet connection means (e.g. mobile operator, ISP, WiFi connection) that can identify the physical location of such devices in accordance with applicable law;
- Information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other similar technologies;
- Information about your interactions with audio and video content, such as the type of content listened to (including music applications such as iTunes, Spotify and Last.fm) content viewed, and information about your interactions with email messages, such as the links clicked on and whether the messages were opened or forwarded;
- Upon request, your bandwidth speed and information about the software programs installed on your computer including registry key information; and
- Standard server log information.
Information we obtain from other sources. Where permitted by applicable law, we may collect information about you from other sources, including through interactive applications (e.g., mobile devices, third party services, and embedded audio and video players), from co-branded partners and websites (e.g., on our Facebook pages), from our advertisers, and from commercially available sources (e.g., data aggregators and public databases). The following are examples of information we may collect from other sources:
- Name, email address, postal address, and telephone number;
- Demographic data, such as age, gender, and income level;
- If you access third party services (e.g., Facebook, Google+ or Twitter) through a CBS Service, or if you access a CBS Service via a third party service, your username and password for those services and other information available about or collected from you on those services, as described in our overview of Video Services and Social Networking Policy
- Your interests and purchase behavior;
- Publicly-observed data, such as activities on blogs, videos, and other online postings;
- Other navigation data, such as websites visited and advertisements viewed or clicked on; and
- Information from a recruitment agency if you are applying for a job with us.
Combining Information. Please note that all of the information we collect about you may be combined, including to help us tailor our communications to you, provide online advertising based on your interests, and to develop rich online content and services across the CBS Services. Your specific consent will be obtained where it is required by law.
Use of Information
The purpose for which we collect the information is to give effect to the particular interaction you have with CBS Services. That might be, for example, when you participate in a competition we run, for publicity or promotion of a CBS personality or for developing the business relationship between you and CBS. We may use your personal information to let you know about programs, products or other things we think may be of interest to you or to get your feedback. If we use your personal information for direct marketing purposes, we will give you the opportunity to opt out of receiving any further marketing material. We may share the personal information that you have given to us with other companies within our group, our associates and affiliates. There may be circumstances where we want to use your personal information to let you know about programs or other products, or to get your feedback on our operations. We may also use your personal information for related purposes that you would reasonably expect. We take particular care with any sensitive information that we may have (if any). We only use payment and identity verification information, such as credit card numbers, driver’s license numbers, social security numbers, or comparable national identifiers as necessary for completing a particular transaction or fulfilling a service (e.g., paid subscriptions or awarding prizes to contest winners) or as otherwise required by law.
We generally use information we collect about you to:
- Fulfill your requests for products, services, and information, including to send you electronic newsletters, authorize a purchase, and complete a transaction that you have requested;
- Enable you to participate in features such as surveys, polls, contests, sweepstakes, and message boards;
- Provide you with electronic newsletters, information, special offers and promotional materials on behalf of CBS Services, companies within our corporate family, and third parties, in accordance with applicable law;
- Perform statistical analysis of user activity and characteristics in order to measure interest in and use of the Services and to inform others of such information, including the number of users who have been exposed to or have clicked on any particular areas in the Services;
- Analyze the use of CBS Services and information about visitors to our Services to understand and improve our service offerings and, in accordance with our sharing policies, discussed below, to produce or disclose anonymous or aggregated data and statistics that might help third parties develop their own products and service offerings;
- Customize the content you see when you visit a CBS Services;
- Develop and provide advertising tailored to your interests, as described in our overview of CBS Online Advertising;
- For any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect your information or pursuant to your consent.
Disclosure of Information
- Authorized third party service providers. We share your contact information with third party vendors who help us with specialized services, including customer support, email and text message deployment, business analytics, marketing, suppression list management and data processing. These third parties are allowed to use your contact information to help us provide our services and not for any other purpose. Also, authorized third party service providers may collect non-contact information about your visits to our Services with cookies, web beacons and other similar technologies that may be used to deliver advertisements or marketing tailored to your interests or, in connection with other data about you including data regarding your use of websites, apps or other services over time and across the Internet, to determine the connections that may exist among different devices. For example, if your IP address is associated with multiple devices (such as smartphones, connected TVs, tablets and so on), these services providers may determine that you, as a user, are connected to such devices. For more information, visit our overview on cookies, web beacons and other technologies (including Do Not Track).
- Sweepstakes, contests, or promotions. When you choose to enter a sweepstakes, contest, or other promotion, and in accordance with the terms and conditions of the promotions, your information may be disclosed to our sponsors and third parties who help design, administer and implement the promotion, including in connection with winner selection, prize fulfillment and aggregated data analysis. Your information also may be disclosed as required by law, such as on a winners list. Further, by entering a promotion, you are agreeing to the official rules that govern that promotion, including allowing our sponsors to use your name, voice, and likeness in advertising and marketing associated with the promotion in accordance with applicable law. All terms applicable to the particular promotion will be made available to you at the time you enter the promotion.
- CBS Services and other CBS businesses. CBS and other business units of CBS Corporation continue to expand their online presence in order to offer users rich and deep interactive experiences. Where permitted by law, we may share information we collect about you within the family of CBS Services, with CBS Corporation, and other CBS-affiliated companies, so that we can provide you with information about products and services that might interest you.
- Business transfers. We may share your information in connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of a CBS Service, a merger, consolidation, asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
- Legal requirements. We may disclose information about our users, including contact information, to respond to subpoenas, court orders, legal process, and other law enforcement measures, and to comply with other legal obligations. There may be circumstances where the law requires us to disclose the information, or where disclosure is required to prevent a risk to health or safety or for law enforcement purposes.
Please note that we may also share information with advertisers as described in our overview of CBS Online Advertising. In addition, information collected about your interactions with audio and video content may be shared with third parties, including social networking services, such as Facebook, and video measurement and subscription services, including Nielsen TV Rating, as described in our Video Services and Social Networking Policy. Finally, we also may share aggregated or anonymized information with third parties, to help us develop content and services we hope will interest you or to help these third parties develop their own products and service offerings including targeted marketing as described in our overview of Third Party Online Advertising.
You can choose to enjoy content and features on CBS Services without providing us directly with any information about you; however, as described above, some information may be collected automatically or be requested so that you can take advantage of certain features and services offered on CBS Services. There may be times when we ask for personal information from you and you do not wish to provide it. We do not have a problem with that but it may mean, for example, that we cannot enter your details for a competition or provide you with a particular service that you want. You can opt out of receiving commercial email or text messages from a particular CBS Services or other service by following the instructions contained in any such message or by contacting us directly. Please note that even if you unsubscribe to commercial messages, we may still need to send you communications relating to your use of the CBS Websites, such as service announcements. You also have choices about whether cookies and other similar technologies are placed on your computer or mobile device. For more information, visit our overview on cookies, web beacons and other similar technologies (including Do Not Track).You also may choose to opt out of use of data that our authorized third party service providers or we collect about your visits to our business partners’ websites that may be used to deliver advertisements tailored to your interests. To opt out, visit the CBS Advertising Opt-Out page. Finally, you also have choices about the collection and use of your information by third parties to display relevant advertisements, as described in our overview of Third Party Online Advertising.
If you choose to share contact information with us, you may have the opportunity to update that information on a CBS Service. Where that information relates to a CBS registration or subscription, you may do this by editing it in your account information. You also may update or amend your information by contacting us. If you ask us to shut down your account or delete your information, we will disable your account within a reasonable period of time. Please note that we may need to retain some information about you in order to satisfy our legal and security obligations. For example, some of your information may remain in back-up storage even if you ask us to delete it. In some cases, you may be entitled under local laws to access or object to the processing of information that we hold relating to you.
Protection of Information
We are committed to protecting your information. We have adopted commercially reasonable technical, administrative, and physical procedures to help protect your information from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, and alteration. Please note that no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. We want you to feel confident using CBS Services but we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us.
Transfer of Data Internationally
CBS is headquartered in the United States and has affiliate offices and partners in other countries. Please be aware that information you provide to us or that we obtain as a result of your use of the CBS Services may be collected in your country and subsequently transferred to the United States or another country in accordance with applicable law. The privacy and data protection laws in the country to which your information is transferred may not be equivalent to such laws in your country of residence. Your personal information may be subject to the laws of the country to which it is transferred and may be accessible without notice to you by the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of that country. By using and participating in any CBS Services or providing us with your information, you consent to the collection, international transfer, storage, and processing of your information.
Visitors from Outside the United States
For additional information about CBS’s privacy practices, as well as our affiliate offices and partners in some of the other countries where we operate, please click on the appropriate link for your jurisdiction: Australia, Canada, the European Union.
For additional information for residents of the State of California click here.
For additional information for residents of the State of Nevada click here.
Privacy Protections for Children
Third Party Websites and Services
CBS Interactive Inc. 235 Second Street San Francisco, CA 94105 USA Legal Department
We are committed to working with you to obtain a fair resolution of any privacy concern.